According to news.com.au, The rugby team in 2010 received the challenge of eating the mussels during a meeting with friends for its birthday. The sludge was transported by the Angiostrongylus cantonensis parasite, commonly known as "lung mouse", which caused a severe infection to the brain.
Days after the party, Sam began to feel serious pain in her legs, consulted with a doctor and was diagnosed "Meningoencephalitis eosinophilic". The disease causes an increase in the number of etinophilic abnormalities in the brain and the back fluid, which can cause a severe change to the nervous system, causing paralysis or even death.
Ballard was in a coma for 420 days and she stopped her throat when she was released from hospital three years later. Although he recovered some mobility, the young man's voice jumped to the media at the beginning of 2018 when he learned that Australian National Disability Insurance he had reduced the money assigned to his / her care.
Finally, after eight years of suffering, Sam died around his family and friends. His last words, dedicated to his mother, were "I love you."