Tuesday , January 26 2021

Pedestrian rally: suspect in armed attack must appear before a judge



Why did five people have to die in the center of Trier? Investigators are investigating this issue further. The arrested driver must go to the judge. The whole city is in shock.

After the scandal in the center of Trier with several dead, the urgent suspect must be handed over to a judge. According to the prosecutor’s office, at the age of 51 there are indications of a possible mental illness. Thus, the judiciary still has to decide whether to apply for pre-trial detention or placement in a closed psychiatric institution.

According to the results of the investigation, a man ran into a powerful SUV in the pedestrian zone of Trier on Tuesday morning. According to Rhineland-Palatinate Interior Minister Roger Levenz (SPD), he zigzagged in a car in the city center. Five people died, including a child. According to police that night, she was not nine months old, but only nine and a half weeks old. Another 14 people were injured.

Political or religious origins are currently excluded

About four minutes after the first emergency call, police were able to arrest the driver. The man’s motive is still unclear, but investigators have so far ruled out a political or religious background. There is also no evidence of accomplices or accomplices of the arrested person.

The suspect is German and a native of Trier. He was drunk at the time of the crime; it was set at 1.4 per thousand. He is under investigation for murder, attempted murder and dangerous physical harm. According to investigators, he lived in the car days before the crime.

Lord Mayor: The darkest day since World War II

In addition to the child, the dead included three women aged 25, 52 and 73, as well as the child’s 45-year-old father. They all come from Trier. The baby’s mother survived and, according to authorities, is in hospital, as well as her one-and-a-half-year-old son.

Mayor Wolfram Leibe (SPD) spoke about the darkest day of the city in post-war history after the scandal. In the morning (at 10 o’clock in the morning) the memory of the victims is mentioned in the monument of Trier Porta Nigra. In the evening, about 100 people prayed for the dead, wounded and their families in Trier Cathedral. The city center was then fenced off for further investigation. During the night, work at the crime scene was completed and the pedestrian zone was reopened.

Chancellor “very sad”

Chancellor Angela Merkel expressed condolences to the victims and their families. “I am very upset by the news from Trier,” said a statement issued by government spokesman Steffen Seibert on Twitter. “I offer my condolences to the relatives of the people who were so suddenly and violently snatched from their lives. But I also think of those who have been seriously injured and wish them much strength.”

Dreyer: “Very bad for all of us”

Rhineland-Palatinate Prime Minister Malu Dreyer, who also lives in Trier, expressed her deepest condolences to the relatives of the victims. This is the “worst” thing that people have “lost their lives,” the SPD politician said. The day is “a really bad and scary day for relatives.” In the middle of an ordinary day, people were cut off from life. “It’s just very bad for all of us.” Let her thoughts go to the wounded and seriously wounded, and hope and pray that they will survive and recover.

Tegeshau announced this topic on December 1, 2020 at 20:00.



Source link