MEMPHIS, Tenn. – In Memphis, a person died of mucous membranes during the weekend after a recent trip to the beach.
The seven victims said they know that some bacteria can get infected through open wounds and cuts, but they did not have the impression that its compromised immune system could also put it at risk.
READ: Beaches along the Mississippi Gulf coast closed after toxic bacteria in water
"We would never let my dad into the water if we knew that he should not have been there – if it would be so easy for him to catch something," said Sheril Vigul, daughter of the victim.
Wiygul said FOX13 had her parents visit Destin Beach in Florida last week.
Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive notifications from the latest news in your area.
Click here to download
Stories with Trends:
Less than 12 hours later, Vighul said that her father began to hurt. At first she thought that it was associated with his cancer treatment.
However, when he returned to Memphis, there was a big black wound on his back. Then on his hands and feet formed red breasts.
"This was something we had not seen before, and only a few hours after staying in the hospital, he had to be in the intensive care unit. He turned into a septic tank and suffered a cardiac arrest, "said Vighul. "48 hours after he was in this water, he went."
According to Wiygul, her father died of bacteria that are naturally occurring in the Gulf of Mexico, but the symptoms of eating a meal are usually very rare.
However, Wiygul said that they did not know that its broken immune system would put it at a higher risk of infection from bacteria.
She shared what happened to her father on Facebook, and now she wants more warnings about the possible risks posted on the signs, like you head to the beach and state parks.
– I do not want to keep people off the beach. I love the beach, my dad liked the beach. It was his favorite place, but she should not go, "said Vighul. – So perhaps you will have to move the planning, if you have a large incision or just did the operation, do not go to the beach.
"At least, it's possible to go next year, as my dad now can not go next year."
This week, an infectious disease specialist told FOX13 that these bacteria that feed on mice are very rare.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.